Pavlova, Eton Mess and Macarons

7:37 PM

A couple of weekends ago, Han and I set aside some time to make some sweet treats that were meant for my dessert table for the 21st party.
It's funny cause Han is actually a chef that works in the hot kitchen, and he hardly does any pastry. But since we've been together, he's already baked more than his past 21 years. But I think he does a pretty good job so why not?

He came up with a menu working on:
Mini lemon tarts, vanilla and rose flavoured macarons, eton mess, bite-sized pavlova with fruit toppings and some tapas style dishes

Sadly, I didn't manage to photograph all of the stuff he made because everything was a rush that day and I just couldn't free myself enough to decently capture the dessert table in a way I liked. So... It's a pity ):
But!! A week before the party, I did manage to style the Pavlova and Eton Mess!! While excusing myself from being his assistant in the kitchen (i'm a pretty useless assistant with my clumsy and slow hands tbh), I styled and photographed his creations.

The kitchen is not where I belong... But give me a camera and that's where I make everything look better :')

 photo _MG_2135_zpsn5on8hdr.jpg
 photo _MG_2281 sugar_zpsy5uuwzmz.jpg  photo _MG_2261_zpscow1dbip.jpg
 photo _MG_2236 moved sugar_zpsefiuhyjx.jpg
 photo _MG_2275_zpslxt7vwfz.jpg  photo _MG_2185_zpskywymy6x.jpg

Featured: Mini Pavlova, Eton Mess
Chef/Baker: Lam Geng Han
Photography & Styling: Mirabelle Koh

I think I still have a lot to work on (especially on the editing), but not too bad for a first time huh!

I've always wanted to work on food styling and visuals, but I never gotten the chance to because I can't make decent looking meals to save myself. Even if I could, I can only manage breakfast bowls at best. I also never really gotten much food gigs so being able to work with Han on this for a head start was quite the experience! I get amazing food to shoot and he gets nice photos of his works. We make quite a good team huh. :')

All in all, styling photography is harder than most people think, and I don't think the content creators in this field are often given enough credit... Just my two cents.

Since he baked for my 21st, he later got a gig from a client to work on about hundred pcs of macarons. It was a huge task, especially since he's only just start baking more frequently but he did it!

During his last bookout, we spent almost an entire day just working on the macarons. Well Han mainly did everything. My only job was to 1) weigh/sieve the icing sugar/flour 2) prepare piping bag and baking paper and 3) clean up LOL.

In my defense, my real job begins the day after when all the macarons were done. So I got to work styling and photographing the macarons, so that next time he will be able to use these photos to get more gigs heheheh. I brought my bag of styling props just for this!!!

 photo _MG_2632-2 editcrop_zps31n2qnnp.jpg
 photo _MG_2663-2_zpsvuzuxhc8.jpg  photo _MG_2600-2 edit_zpsubf6cjmo.jpg
 photo _MG_2590-2 edit_zpsc229qotr.jpg
 photo _MG_2610-2_zpsuozbqjip.jpg
 photo _MG_2680-2_zpsy6qmcf8g.jpg  photo _MG_2640-2 edit_zpsftdphw6a.jpg

Featured: Macarons
Chef/Baker: Lam Geng Han
Photography & Styling: Mirabelle Koh

We worked on Rose, Passionfruit, Pistachio, Chocolate, Peppermint, Coffee, Red Velvet and Vanilla macarons. But the ones featured above are Rose, Passionfruit, Pistachio and Chocolate flavoured ones respectively. :)

My favourites are definitely the passionfruit and pistachio!! He used legit ingredients (instead of cheap flavourings) so cost price was kinda expensive, but it's the cooking values that Han lives by. Anyway the results were lovely. If anyone of you is looking to order tapas food/desserts for an event or a party, don't hesitate to hit him up @hansculinaryclassics (yes I finally convinced him to create a business ig and I'm still in the process of convincing him to let me be his marketing manager LOL).

Quote "bitterbubblegums" for 10% off total bill!! HAHA I'm just kidding but if you're a friend/reader of mine you can let him/me know!

Or if you're looking for a photographer/stylist for a project... You can drop me an email at mirabelle.koh@gmail.com (Sorry for the shameless self promotion)

Personally, I think the styling photos this time are better than the previous! Hopefully it'll keep getting better. I probably should change up the background cause it's gonna get boring lol. I've already spent about another hundred or two on styling props (sigh that's where my pay goes to). All these in pursuits of pushing my creative limits.

I'll probably have more food photos to put up here when my pretty plates arrive! Can't wait hehe.

You Might Also Like

0 Comments